Skip to main content

The Little Childhood Sweetheart's Counterattack - Chapter 48

Chapter 48: Crossroads

 
Xiang Yang tossed and turned all night, unable to sleep.  When she wakes up the next morning, Zhang Yi points at the dark circles under her eyes and says, “Xiang Yang, you don't need to be that excited, even if you're excited.”
 
Xiang Yang hasn't slept well all night.  She really doesn't have the mood to joke with her. She replies, “I'm in a bad mood. Don't mess around.”
 
Seeing that she goes into the bathroom to wash up, Zhang Yi leans against the door and says, “What's bothering you? What's there to be bothered about?  I say, your future is bright!  Go for it. When you have your concert, I'll definitely be the first to sign up!”
 
Xiang Yang sighs.  After Zhang Yi reminds her, she remembers the many private messages on Weibo about signing contracts. But compared to this, Xiang Yang feels that Xing Zhaoyan's matter is more difficult. 

She stops and turns to ask Zhang Yi, “If I refuse him, will it seem like I'm heartless?”
 
Zhang Yi stares at her blankly. Then she nods seriously and says, “Yeah, it's pretty heartless.”
 
Xiang Yang sighs for the second time.
 
Zhang Yi was puzzled, “So you're that conflicted?”
 
Xiang Yang nods. “Yeah, I'm very conflicted.”
 
Agreeing or not agreeing, it seems like neither option makes her feel good.
 
Zhang Yi can't stand seeing her like this.  "Then tell me, what are the pros and cons of agreeing? And what about not agreeing?”
 
Xiang Yang immediately says, “If I really want to develop in this direction as a singer, then I'll definitely not be able to stay in one place long-term. And he's going back to Qinglin City to work. We'll definitely be in a long-distance relationship. Over time, the relationship will be a problem. And maybe I'm not ready. The moment I think about agreeing to be his girlfriend, I inexplicably feel pressured.”
 
Zhang Yi asks her, “Xing Zhaoyan is putting pressure on you?”
 
“No.  He also told me not to worry.” And last night, it seems like he didn't want to put pressure on her. He didn't contact her all night.
 
Zhang Yi blinks her eyes and says speechlessly, “Then I don't understand you. But from our perspective as bystanders, Xing Zhaoyan is really a good person. He's handsome, has a good personality, a good character, good abilities, and ambition. The most important thing is that he's good to you.”
 
“I understand, but…”
 
Zhang Yi continues.  “But you don't want to define your relationship with him now.  Right?”
 
“It seems like that.”
 
Zhang Yi shrugs. “Then there's no way. If you don't want your relationship to worsen, then drag it out.  If he doesn't bring it up, then you don't bring it up.  If he brings it up, just act accordingly.”
 
Xiang Yang hesitates for a moment and asks, “Will that really work?”
 
Zhang Yi squints.  “Do you have a better way?”
 
“No.” After thinking about it, Xiang Yang seems like she can only play the role of a shrinking turtle again.
 
Xiang Yang originally wanted to go home today, but she gets a call from a stranger just after finishing breakfast. The man on the other end of the phone says in a businesslike tone, “Hello, I'm the president's secretary of ‘Universe’ Entertainment. Ms. Xiang's mentor from the show recommended you. ‘Universe’ is interested in cooperating with you. What do you think?”
 
“Universe?” Xiang Yang is surprised.
 
“Yes.  ‘Universe’ Entertainment.  Have you heard of it?”
 
Xiang Yang has, of course. This company has produced many popular actors and actresses. Even in the music world, the company's popular singers are countless.  It can be said that there's always been a three-way standoff among entertainment companies in the industry. “Universe” is one of the ones with the best development prospects. There has even a saying that “Universe” Entertainment has divided most of the entertainment industry.
 
Seeing that Xiang Yang doesn't speak, the secretary politely says, “Ms. Xiang, if you have any questions, you can ask them, or we can chat in person.”
 
“When and where?”
 
The other side smiles and inquires, “Ms. Xiang, you're currently in Li'an City, right? It just so happens that I'm here today, and my agent is also here. Why don't you meet us and talk later?”
 
“Very well.” Xiang Yang ends the call, a faint smile gracing her lips. The invitations from other entertainment companies had not captured her interest. She harbored the hope that “Universe” would reach out to her, and now that hope had materialized sooner than expected. It appears that her upcoming journey back home may need to be postponed.
 
When Xing Zhaoyan calls her, Xiang Yang is on her way.
 
Xing Zhaoyan asks her, “Should I go get you now? I have to go to the airport later. Why don't we go back together?”
 
Only then does Xiang Yang apologize. “I'm sorry. I just got a call. Something urgent came up. So I probably won't be able to go back.”
 
“Like this?” Xing Zhaoyan pauses for a few seconds. He smiles bitterly and says, “Xiang Yang, if you don't like to traveling with me, I can actually… ”
 
Xiang Yang hurriedly explains, “No, that's not what I meant at all. I really have something urgent. It's not anything else.”
 
“Is that so? Then I'm relieved.”  Xing Zhaoyan can only say, “Then be careful. Call me if anything happens.”
 
“Okay.” After Xiang Yang hangs up the phone, she takes a breath of relief. She's glad he didn't bring up that matter.
 
Thinking about how he's returning to Qinglin City, Xiang Yang suddenly remembers something. She unlocks her phone screen and calls Fu Jinting, someone she has not contacted before.
 
Fu Jinting notices the unfamiliar number and raises his hand to signal his assistant to stop reporting. He picks up the phone and says, “Hello,  Fu Jinting.”
 
Hearing Fu Jinting's serious tone, Xiang Yang is surprised. She knows she is being abrupt. She hurriedly says, “Uncle Fu, hello. This is Xiang Yang.”
 
“Xiang Yang?” Fu Jinting's voice softens slightly. “Xiaoyang, is there something you need?”
 
“That… Uncle Fu, I have something I want to trouble you with.”
 
Fu Jinting doesn't speak. He waits until she finishes explaining a whole bunch of things before he suddenly asks, “Is this Xing Zhaoyan your classmate?”
 
“Yes, he's my former classmate from high school. He has been a significant source of support for me throughout my college years. So... Uncle Fu, I am aware that my request may seem unreasonable, but if you find it too challenging, please feel free to disregard it. I am simply...”
 
“Rattled with worry?” Fu Jinting suddenly picks up the words she doesn't know how to continue and laughs. “Okay. Your Uncle Fu knows.”
 
“Then Uncle Fu…”
 
“Don't worry.”
 
Hearing this, Xiang Yang immediately says happily, “Then thank you, Uncle Fu! When I get back, I will definitely come to thank you personally!”
 
Fu Jinting says, “I have watched you and Guanxian grow up together since you were young.  You don't need to be polite with Uncle Fu. Okay. Goodbye.”
 
After Fu Jinting concludes the phone call, his countenance adopts a more solemn demeanor. However, a subtle hint of a smile graces his lips. He reclines in his chair, deep in contemplation for a brief moment. Following which, he inquires of the assistant stationed before his desk, “To what extent has the interviewing process for this bunch of interns progressed?”

The assistant honestly replies, “The interview is in two days.”
 
“Look for someone named Xing Zhaoyan.  Give me a copy of his resume.”
 
Although the assistant is a little strange, for company recruitment, except for high-level positions, the president never personally participates. After all, it's just an intern. But since the president is now ordering this, the assistant doesn't ask any more questions. He just says, “President, it will be delivered in ten minutes.”
 
“Okay. Go ahead and get busy.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Ten minutes later, Xing Zhaoyan's resume is placed on Fu Jinting's desk.
 
Fu Jinting hands the signed documents to the assistant. While picking up the resume, he says, “Go check again and get more information about this Xing Zhaoyan.”

The assistant is confused, but still agrees.
 
Fu Jinting looks at the young and youthful face in the paper. Then he flips through his resume and smiles ambiguously. He throws the resume back onto the desk and then calls his son, who is abroad.
 
On Fu Guanxian's side, the sun had just begun to rise. He had just changed clothes when he saw his father calling him, which was quite rare. Usually, his mother, Kong Yiyue, would call him unless he initiated the call himself.
 
Fu Guanxian picks up. “Dad, wha's up?  Why do I have a feeling that today's sun is rising from the west?”
 
“Such a coincidence. I have this feeling today too.”
 
“Dad, if I remember correctly, it's working hours over there, right? Is the company so leisurely? Are you going to close down?”
 
“Even if I take half a year off, the company can still operate normally.” Fu Jinting gets straight to the point. “Xiaoyang called me this morning.”
 
Fu Guanxian's eyes narrow. “What did she call you for?”
 
“Is the name Xing Zhaoyan a little familiar?”
 
“Huh?” Fu Guanxian's expression sinks.
 
“Xiaoyang did something unusual. She went out of her way to ask me to favor this Xing guy. She wants him to enter Fu's.”
 
Fu Guanxian hesitated momentarily before responding. After a brief pause, he inquired, “Father, what are your thoughts on the matter?”
 
“Why wouldn't I agree?”
 
Fu Guanxian chuckles coldly. “I have already handed over all the work at Fu's last year. As for personnel, I'm not interested. Dad, you make the decision.”
 
“I think this young man looks pretty…”
 
Before Fu Jinting finished speaking, Fu Guanxian directly said, “Dad, I'm busy. I'll hang up.”
 
Fu Guanxian hurriedly hangs up the phone. He doesn't know that Fu Jinting's last few words were, “not simple.”
 
Fu Guanxian had no appetite for the breakfast that was prepared for him.
 
“Xing Zhaoyan?” Fu Guanxian says the name with a light, cold snort.
 
Does he think he can get away with it? He's dreaming.
 
Lian Rui and Zheng Jie have both mentioned Xiang Yang's scandal to him. Lian Rui said, “Guanxian, what are you doing abroad? You're so busy! If you don't come back soon, your childhood sweetheart is going to run off with someone else.”
 
Zheng Jie also said, “Usually, when a guy is being nice to a girl out of the blue, there are only two possibilities: either he likes her, or he has ulterior motives. Guanxian, do you think Xing Zhaoyan likes Xiang Yang, or does he want something from her?”
 
Fu Guanxian smiles slightly. “I want to see what kind of waves he can make.”
 
Zheng Jie silently worries to himself. He's afraid that when Xing Zhaoyan makes waves, it'll be too late for you to come flying back.




Previous   TOC   Next

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Little Childhood Sweetheart's Counterattack - Chapter 1

Chapter 01: The Tyrant's Gaze   Their teacher was a middle-aged man with a large belly. His last name was Wu, he wasn't tall and didn't talk much. Since it was the first PE class of the semester, after briefly introducing himself and summarizing the course content for all the new students, he taught them a few basic warm-up exercises, then had them run a few laps around the field. He was merciful and dismissed the class, allowing everyone to do whatever they wanted.   The boys in the class cheered when they heard they could have free time. They called out to each other and ran towards the basketball court.   As Xiang Yang and a few girls left the field, she heard one of them, a girl with long hair, say, “Oh no! It's actually him who’s our PE teacher!”   Since it was only a few days since the start of school, Xiang Yang only remembered a handful of classmates' names. Although on the first day of school, during the first class, the head teacher, based on academic perf...

The Little Childhood Sweetheart's Counterattack - Chapter 44

Chapter 44:  A Phone Call from Abroad   When Xiang Yang packs her bags to go back to school after the holiday, she suddenly remembers that she forgot to return the money to Lian Rui.   She doesn't have Lian Rui's contact information. Even if she did, she's sure he wouldn't want to take it.   Xiang Yang originally wanted to return the money to Lian Rui through Fu Guanxian, but she searches her phone and realizes she changed her number.  Except for a few elders and a few friends she contacts frequently, she hasn't backed up anything else.   Xiang Yang smiles. Not only does she not have his phone number, but it seems she also doesn't have his WeChat.  She has no way to contact him at all.   Xiang Yang is happy about this. It's good, isn't it?   Xiang Yang goes downstairs and asks Jiang Manxin, “Mom, can you transfer a few hundred yuan to Fu Guanxian for me?”   Jiang Manxin is studying sheet music. When she hears this, she asks, “You borrowe...

The Little Childhood Sweetheart's Counterattack - Chapter 10

  Chapter 10: Homework and Retribution “Didn't you say that either I could take your car back, or I could come to your house tonight to help you with your homework? I chose the second option.” After saying this in one breath, Xiang Yang didn’t dare to take a single breath. She felt a kind of bravery akin to being placed in a desperate situation and choosing to fight back. Otherwise, what gave her the courage to dare to retort to Fu Guanxian like this? However, even though she was extremely scared inside, Xiang Yang kept reassuring herself: “Don't be afraid, don't be afraid! If he dares to hit me, I'll just shout loudly; after all, Mom is downstairs.” Fu Guanxian didn't miss her change of expression throughout the entire exchange; he could even easily guess what she was thinking with almost perfect accuracy. Fu Guanxian straightened up and took two steps closer to her direction. Xiang Yang instinctively stepped back in fright. He snorted coldly, “Since you love doing...